The Glossop VAH Project
 Glossop VAH Project
 Glossop VAH
Victoria Street 3-3a High Street West

Victoria Street
Space 4 Living Estate Agents
1 High Street West
Subway
3-3a High Street West

Norfolk Arms
Norfolk Square
Nat West Bank
Norfolk Square
Summary
The current building was built about 1938 to an Art Deco style with finely pointed smooth and decorated Aslar. The curved elevation occupies the corner of High Street West and Victoria Street. The previous building were a more traditional terrace with a dome above number 1, this was known as Hawley’s corner.

 1838 


The 12th Duke of Norfolk, Bernard Edward Howard engaged the architects Messrs. John Grey Weightman and Matthew Ellison Hadfield of the Corn Exchange Buildings, Sheffield, to prepare plans for a Town Hall with four shops either side, flanked by tower shaped buildings complete with domes, the dome to the right was never built.



 1844 
The Liverpool and District Banking Company opened a savings bank on 25 March 1844, at numbers 1 and 3 High Street West, which later to be known as Hawley’s Corner.



 1871 
Census
Number 1 was occupied by William Parker 30, a Chemist & Druggist, wife Elizabeth Parker 28, daughters Annie Olivia Jane Parker 4 and Lizzie Browne Parker 3 months.



 1881 
Census
Number 1 was unhabited.



 1891 
Kelly’s Directory
Bradbury Thomas, chemist & dentist, 1 High street west



 1891 
Census
Number 1 was occupied by Thomas Bradbury 34, a Chemist & Drugist, wife Sarah Bradbury 29, daughter Edith Bradbury 5, a Scholar and sons Sam Bradbury 2 and Tom A Bradbury 3 months.



 1895 
Post Office Derbyshire Directory
Bradbury Thomas, chemist, 1 High street west



 1899 
Kelly’s Directory
Bradbury Thomas, chemist, 1 High street west



 1901 
Census
Number 1 was occupied but uninhabited.



 1903 
Derby & District Trades Directory
CHEMISTS
Bradbury, T., 1 High St., west



 1904 


An advertisment from ’Glossop - A Sketch From The Earliest Period’ printed and published by Messrs. Jenkinson and Hamnett in 1904.



 1904 


An photo from ’Glossop - A Sketch From The Earliest Period’ printed and published by Messrs. Jenkinson and Hamnett in 1904.



 1911 
Census
Number 1 was a property with 6 main rooms occupied by Charley Briggs 34, a Stationer with his wife Eliza Jane Briggs 33, married 10 years with no children.



 1912 
Kelly’s Directory
Briggs Charlie



 1920 


To the left is Hawley’s corner the date is somewhere between 1912 and 1927, presuming the trams were still in operation and the glass and cast iron awning on the far right. Photograph courtesy of Glossop Heritage Trust.



 1925 
Kelly’sDirectory
Hawley Harold, stationer, 1 High street west



 1926 
Midland Counties Trade Directory
Hawley’s, Newsagents, printer, tobacconist, bookseller & stationer, 1 High Street West



 1932 
Kelly’s Directory
Hawley Harold, stationer, 1 High street west



 1937 


Demolition starts on the dome at Hawley’s Corner. Photograph courtesy of Glossop Heritage Trust.



 1938 
Newspaper Advert shows 1 - 3 High Street West as Burton tailors shop. The current builing was built in 1938 and it may have opened on Friday 18 March 1938.



 1941 
Kelly’s Directory
Burton Montague (The Tailor of Taste Ltd.), tailors, 1 & 3 High st. west



 1950 


Midland Bank. Photograph courtesy of Glossop Heritage Trust.



 1960 
Photo from 1960’s shows building now divided into Bank (Midland?), Price’s and another.



 1970 


The Midland Bank in the 1970s. Photograph courtesy of Cliff Hales.



 1978 
Glossop Official Guide
Midland Bank Ltd., High Street West Tel. 3448



 1992 
The Midland Bank PLC was taken over by HSBC Holdings plc, who phased out the Midland Bank name in 1999 in favour of HSBC Bank.The Midland Bank PLC was taken over by HSBC Holdings plc, who phased out the Midland Bank name in 1999 in favour of HSBC Bank.



 2004 


HSBC Bank. Photograph courtesy of Glossop & District Historical Society.



 2014 


Photo taken in 2014 by Glossop VAH.



 2017 


HSBC closed its doors on January 6, 2017, having been part of the town’s high street since November 1959.