The Glossop VAH Project
 Glossop VAH Project
 Glossop VAH
Norfolk Square Norfolk Street
Water Trough
Norfolk Square
Norfolk Arms
Norfolk Square

Norfolk Street
Subway
3-3a High Street West
Barclays Bank
2 - 6 Norfolk Street
Headzaklys Barbers
8 Norfolk Street
Summary
English Heritage Grade II Listed Building.

 1822 
The first licensee was Samuel Allington.



 1825 
History, directory, and gazetteer, of the county palatine of Lancaster, Volume 2.
SHEFFIELD and BUXTON, the ROYAL MAIL, at a 1/4 bf. 10mg, by Disley, Whaley Bridhe, Buxton, Ashford and Totley, and the Mail route, arriving at 1/4 p,. 5 aft. at the Commercial and Tontine Inns, Sheffield.



 1828 
Pigot’s Directory 1828
TAVERNS & PUBLIC HOUSES.
Norfolk Arms, Joseph Oates, Howard’s town



 1829 
Pigot’s Directory of Derbyshire
POST OFFICE, Norfolk Arms Inn, Howard’s Town. - letters to MANCHESTER are despatched every afternoon at a quarter past five, and arrive every morning at a quarter past nine. - To SHEFFIELD, letters are despatched every morning at a quarter past nine, and arrive every morning at a quarter past five.
TAVERNS & PUBLIC HOUSES
Norfolk Arms, Joseph Oates, Howard’s town
COACHES.
To MANCHESTER, the Royal Mail (from Sheffield) calls at the Norfolk Arms,
Howard’s Town, every afternoon at a quarter-past five; and the Merry Tradesman, from the Norfolk Arms, every Tuesday and Saturday morning at seven.
To SHEFFIELD, the Royal Mail (from Manchester) calls at the Norfolk Arms,
Howard’s Town, every morning at a quarter-past nine.



 1829 
A tontine is an investment plan for raising capital, devised in the 17th century and relatively widespread in the 18th and 19th centuries. It combines features of a group annuity and a lottery. Each subscriber pays an agreed sum into the fund, and thereafter receives an annuity. As members die, their shares devolve to the other participants, and so the value of each annuity increases. On the death of the last member, the scheme is wound up. In 1829 a Deed was drawn up for a tontine to purchase the inn, 40 shares, each costing £50 were issued to 19 Nominors, including the Duke of Norfolk who took out 8 shares. It’s thought this annuity paid out when half of the participants had died.



 1835 
Pigot’s Directory 1835
INNS.
Norfolk Arms, Joseph Oates, Howard’s Town



 1842 
Pigot’s Directory 1842
INNS.
Norfolk Arms, Maria Wagstaffe, Howard’s Town
COACHES.
To MANCHESTER, the Royal Mail, from the Norfolk Arms, every afternoon at a quarter before four, and the Umpire (from Sheffield), calls at the same Inn, every afternoon at half-past one; all go through Stalybridge, Ashton, &c.
To SHEFFIELD, the Umpire (from Manchester), calls at the Norfolk Arms every afternoon (Sunday excepted) at one.
CARRIERS.
To MANCHESTER, Jas. Harrop, from his house, Glossop, and George Siddall, from his house, Howard’s town, every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.
To STOCKPORT, Samuel Dewsnap & Peter Higginbottom, from their houses, Charlesworth, every Friday; and John Sheppard, from his house, Glossop, every Monday and Friday.



 1846 
Bagshaw’s Directory 1846
Norfolk Arms, Maria Wagstaff



 1846 
Rateable Value of Norfolk Arms in 1846 before the market opened £45 10s 0d



 1850 
Post Office Derbyshire Directory
Wallis Samuel, Norfolk Arms hotel, commericial & posting house, High street



 1850 
Slatter’s Directory 1850
INNS.
Norfolk Arms, Maria Wagstaffe, Howard’s Town



 1857 
Whites Directory of Derbyshire and Sheffield
Hotels, Inns, and Taverns
Norfolk Hotel, Saml. Wallis, High st



 1871 
Census
Number 2 High Street was occupied by George Whittaker 42, a hotel Proprietor, wife Ann Whittaker 41, daughters Martha Whittaker 19, Hotel Assistant, Rebecca Whittaker 15, Caroline Whittaker 13, son Lewis A Whittaker 12, daughter Alice M Whittaker 10, George S Whittaker 7, daughter Ada 5, son Norfolk Whittaker 4 and daughters Agnes Whittaker 3 and Florence Whittaker 5 months. Also at this address were Mary Jarvis 23 and Mary Corke 22, both Domestic Servants.



 1881 
Census
The Norfolk Hotel was occupied by Joseph Collier 51, an Innkeeper, wife Ann Collier 49, daughters Emma Collier 20, Elizabeth Collier 18, Eliza Collier 16, a Pupil Teacher, son James Collier 17, an Unemployed Surveyor, daughters Maria A Collier 12, Louisa A Coolier 9 and son Joseph E Collier 6, all Scholars. Also at this address were Mary Hampshore 36, Mary Roberts 22 and Eliza Jones 20, all Domestic Servants, Elliott Howard 23, a Groom and Frederick Howard 18, a Billiard Marker.



 1891 
Kelly’s Directory
Collier Joseph, Norfolk Arms hotel & posting house, Norfolk square



 1891 
Census
Norfolk Arms was occupied by Joseph Collier 61, a Hotel Keeper, wife Anne Collier 58, daughters ? McMellon 29, Elizabeth Alice Collier 27, Maria Collier 20, a School Teacher, Louisa Collier 18, a Professional Singer and son Joseph Edward Collier 16. Also at this address were Annie Newell 42, a General Servant, May Colley 24, a Waitress and William Newboug 36, a Groom.



 1899 
Kelly’s Directory
Charlesworth Alfred, Norfolk Arms hotel, Norfolk square



 1901 
Census
The Norfolk Arms occupied by Alfred Charlesworth 35, a Licensed Victualler, wife Clara Charlesworth 35 and servants Christina L Crook 28, a Barmaid, Ada Brywyer 21, a Waitress and William Mauley 20, a Billsard Macker ????



 1903 
Rateable Value of Norfolk Arms in 1903 after the market opened £171 5s 0d



 1906 


Glossop town centre with electrified trams and decorative street lights. Far right is the Norfolk Arms.



 1911 
Census
A property with 14 main rooms described as Norfolk Hotel occupied by Alfred Charlesworth 45, a Licenced Victualer, his wife Clara Charlesworth 42, married 21 years with a son, Theodore Mather Charlesworth 19, an Analytical Chemist married for less than 1 year. Also at this address were servants Lilly Cookson 27, a Barmaid, Isabel Graves 26, a Housemaid, Annie Canavan 24, General Servant and Ames Heggarty 21, a Hotel Boots. Boarders at the hotel were William Stapley 23, a Clerk and Ivan Sharpe 21, a Journalist.

Famous sports journalist and author Ivan Sharpe was also one of England?s greatest amateur players. A winger of great skill, he took his footballing talents wherever his journalistic career went. The son of a cobbler, he began at St Albans Abbey and then had spells with then Non-League Watford and Second Division Glossop, winning the first of his twelve amateur caps with the latter. He stayed at Glossop for three seasons, scoring sixteen times in eighty-six League appearances. Then, in 1911, he joined Derby County, scoring twelve goals in forty-four league appearances over two seasons, winning a Second Division Championship medal in his first season and the following year won an Olympic soccer gold in Stockholm with Great Britain, playing in all three games, at the age of twenty-three. He played in a full International trial at Blackburn in 1912. In 1913 he went to Leeds City, where he scored sixteen goals in sixty-one League appearances, together with one goal in four FA Cup games. After World War One he played for Glossop, who had by then lost their League status, but returned to Elland Road in November 1920. Sharpe retired in the summer of 1923 but played with Yorkshire Amateurs and went on to further his journalistic career. His soccer moves were reflected in the newspapers he worked for, starting with the Herts Observer and St Albans Times, Glossop Chronicle, Yorkshire Evening News (Leeds) and the Sunday Chronicle, whom he joined in 1922. In 1924 he became the editor of Athletic News and was later editor of the Sunday Chronicle. Sharpe died in Southport on 9th February 1968, aged seventy-eight.



 1912 
Kelly’s Directory
Charlesworth Alfred, Norfolk Arms hotel, Norfolk square



 1925 
Kelly’s Directory
Pickford John J. Norfolk Arms hotel, Norfolk square



 1941 
Kelly’s Directory
Norfolk Arms Hotel (Edwd. L. Smith), Norfolk sq. T N 106



 1970 


The Norfolk Arms centre left taken from up Norfolk Street taken in the 1970s. Photograph courtesy of Cliff Hales.



 2000 
English Heritage Grade II Listed Building
Coaching Inn, now public house. 1823, altered late C19 and C20. Coursed millstone grit with ashlar dressings and hipped Welsh slate roofs. 4 ridge stacks and 3 wall stone stacks plus 2 louvred vents to left.
PLAN: double-depth.
EXTERIOR: 2 storey. High Street front has 7 windows arranged 2:3:2. Slightly projecting 3 window centre has central stone, flat roofed single storey porch with blocking course, plain square columns and C20 margin light glazing. Flanked by single plain horned sashes, above 3 similar windows. Wings have 2 similar sashes to each floor. All windows have painted ashlar lintels and sills. Left return has doorway in flush ashlar surround with overlight and to left single small then 2 large casement windows, above 3 plain horned sashes. Right return to Norfolk Street has central doorway under single storey flat roof porch with dentilled cornice supported on square Tuscan Doric columns, moulded round arches with moulded imposts and stressed keystones. To left single plain horned sash and to right large former shop window with former doorway to left and 3 round headed lights to right within plain pilaster surround with moulded fascia board. Above 3 plain horned sashes and small inserted casement window.
INTERIOR: refitted late C20.
© English Heritage 2000.
The National Heritage List Text Entries contained in this material were obtained on 8/6/2013. The most publicly available up to date National Heritage List Text Entries can be obtained from www.english-heritage.org.uk.



 2004 


Photograph courtesy of Glossop & District Historical Society.



 2007 


The Glossopdale Townscape Heritage Initiative funded the replacement of town centre asphalt pavements with traditional sandstone slabs. Photograph courtesy of Glossop & District Historical Society.



 2013 
The Norfolk Arms is a Joseph Holts pub and its website description is; The Norfolk Arms, situated in the pictuesque village of Glossop, is an A listed coaching house where Royal Mail rested horses before they began their journey back to Manchester. Subsequently, the pub became a bus terminal. The Norfolk Arm to this day still functions as a hotel, offering five refurbished rooms, which have been approved by the English Tourist Board.



 2014 


Photo taken in 2014 by Glossop VAH.