|BMAS and Company
12 Market Street
10 Market Street
We think the picture above is about 1922, the man on the right is James Whittaker, he and his work colleagues are working on the alterations to the Town Hall / Municipal Building. Photograph courtesy of James’ granddaughter Joan Verner and Ray Verner.
Appleton Harold, chief clerk to the Education Committee, Education offices Municipal buildings
Borough of Glossop Education Office (Joseph Walkden, sec.; H. Appleton, chief clerk), Municipal buildings. T N 18
Bridge James Alston, assistant overseer & collector of general district rate No. 2 district, Municipal buildings
Child Welfare Centre (E. H. Marcus Milligan M.D., D.P.H. medical superintendent), Municipal buildings
Dane Harry, sanitary & meat inspector, & inspector under the Food & Drugs Acts to the corporation, Municipal bldgs
Fletcher Samuel, borough treasurer & supt. assistant overseer, Municipal buildings. T N 150
Furniss Frank, assistant overseer & collector of general district rate No. 1 district, Municipal buildings
Lea George H. town clerk, Municipal buildings. T N 58
Maternity & Child Welfare Centre (Ernest Henry Marcus Milligan M.D., D.P.H. medical officer), Municipal buildings. T N 118
Milligan Ernest Henry Marcus M.D., D.P.H. medical officer of health to Borough & Rural District Council, medical supt. of Maternity & Child Welfare Centre & to the Isolation Hospital, Municipal buildings. T N 118
Mitchell William Arnold A.M.I.M. & Cy.E. borough surveyor & water works manager, Municipal buildings. T N 49
Sidebottom Joseph Hadfield, school attendance officer, Education offices, Municipal buildings
Walkden Joseph, sec. to the Education Committee, Education offices, Municipal buildings
Water Works (William Arnold Mitchell, manager), Municipal buildings
Ashton J. assistant town clerk, Municipal bldgs
Water Works (Geo, Faulds M.I.M. & Cy.E. mngr,), Municipal bldgs. T N 150
Lilley J., M.Inst.M, & Cy.E. assistant borough surveyor, Municipal bldgs
Bridge Jas. Alston, assistant rating & valuation officer, Municipal bldgs
Malkin Rt. H. school attendance officer, Education offices, Municipal bldgs
Cemetery, Cemetery rd. (W. S. A. Robinson, clerk) ; offices, Municipal bldgs
Dixon Wltr. assistant rating & valuation officer & collector, Municipal bldgs. T N 49
Faulds Geo. M.Inst.M., Cy.E. & R.S.I. borough surveyor & water works manager, Municipal bldgs. T N 150
Child Welfare Centre (E. H. Marcus Milligan M.D.Belf., D.P.H.Dubl. medical supt.), Municipal bldgs. T N 118
Maternity & Child Welfare Centre (Ernest Hy. Marcus Milligan M.D.Belf., D.P.H.Dublin, medical officer), Municipal bldgs. T N 118
Robinson Wm. S. A. solctr. town clerk, clerk to Cemetery Committee, sec. to Education Committee & clerk to Grammar School Board, Municipal bldgs. T N 58
Dane Harry, sanitary, housing & meat inspector, & inspector under the Food & Drugs Acts & Dairies & Cowsheds Orders to the corporation, Municipal bldgs. T N 118
Milligan Ernest Hy. Marcus M.D.Belf, L.R.C.P. & S.Irel., L.M., D.P.H.Dublin, medical officer of health to borough, medical supt. of Maternity & Child Welfare Centre & to the Isolation Hospital, Partington Convalescent & Nurses’ Home, Woods Hospital & school medical officer, Municipal bldgs. T N 118
Boardman E. M. borough treas, & chief rating & valuation officer & treas. & accntnt. to the Education Committee, Municipal bldgs. T N 49
Borough of Glossop Education Office (W. S. A. Robinson, sec.; H. Appleton, finance clerk ; E. M. Boardman, treas. & accntnt.), Municipal bldgs. T N 58
English Heritage Grade II Listed Building
Town hall, market hall and municipal buildings, 1838, 1845, 1897 and 1923. By Weightman and Hadfield for the 12th Duke of Norfolk. Ashlar millstone grit with ashlar dressings. Panelled stacks and slate roof.
EXTERIOR: 2 storey. North front has 25 windows arranged 3:8:1:5:1:8:2. Central, taller town hall block has 7 windows arranged 1:5:1. Ground floor has vermiculated rustication and central 5 bay open arcade with round arches and Tuscan Doric columns, flanked by single doorways with double doors and moulded ashlar surrounds and bracketed hoods. Above 5 round headed sashes with margin light glazing and bracketed cornice, flanked by single similar windows with glazing bar casements. Above square clock turret, 1897, topped with circular cupola. Side wings, have 4 shops to each side mostly with C20 shop fronts, Nos 7 and 17 retain original shop fronts with console brackets and fascia boards, above 2 windows to each shop divided by plain pilasters. End block to right 2 windows and 3 storeys with curved corner, with 2 shops divided by plain pilasters that continue to upper floors. Municipal offices, south front, has 11 windows arranged 3:5:3. Recessed 5 window centre has central doorway with overlight and single flanking sashes set back behind 2 Tuscan Doric columns in antis with single flanking sashes between similar pilasters. Above 5 sashes topped by parapet with Vitruvian scroll motif stepped to ends. Projecting 3 window gabled wings with overhanging eaves and rusticated vermiculated quoins. Central 2 storey panels with rusticated vermiculated surrounds and paired sashes to each floor, either side single sashes to each floor. All windows have glazing bar sashes. Left and right returns have 2 storey 6 and 4 window facades and beyond 7 tall round headed windows to market hall, central opening to left return has tall rusticated vermiculated door surround.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: included in this listing are the iron railings and boundary piers to the Market Ground. The original Town Hall design included lock-up prison with 4 cells.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire: Harmondsworth: 1953-1986: 219; Hadfield Cawkwell Davidson (Architects): 150 Years of Architects Drawings- Hadfield: Sheffield: 1834-1984).
© English Heritage 1958.
The National Heritage List Text Entries contained in this material were obtained on 11/6/2013. The most publicly available up to date National Heritage List Text Entries can be obtained from www.english-heritage.org.uk.
"Churching the Mayor" ceremony in the 1960s. Photograph courtesy of Cliff Hales.
Photograph courtesy of Cliff Hales probably taken in the 1970s.
Once a year the Glossop and District Photographic Society would hold its annual exhibition in the Town Hall. For a bit of fun Cliff Hales would occasionally make a quiz, with some "mystery" photos of Glossop, and a modest prize for the winner. This photo is from his 1974 quiz, photo courtesy of Cliff Hales.
Photo taken in 2014 by Glossop VAH.