The Glossop VAH Project
 Glossop VAH Project
 Glossop VAH
Arundel Street 72-74 High Street West

Arundel Street
Corner Cupboard Public House
76-78 High Street West
David Wood Domestic Appliances
72-74 High Street West
Ruchi / Super Pound
83-83A High Street West
Salliemoonbeam
81 High Street West
Jones Shoe & Boot Repairs
79 High Street West
Summary
was Victoria Inn

 1833 
Built in 1833, the first licensee was James Ollerenshaw and was originally called the Victoria Inn..



 1871 
Census
Number 76 was occupied by George Doodson 49, a Draper, wife Elizabeth Doodson 49, daughters Sarah Doodson 29, a Hooker at Print Works, Betty Doodson 27, a Marker-Up at Print Works, son John Doodson 24, an Engraver at Print Works, daughter Harriet Doodson 19, also worked at Print Works and sons George Doodson 16, a Piecier at Cotton Mill, Willie Doodson 10 and Thomas Doodson 5, both Scholars.
Number 2 Arundel Street was occupied by Sarah A Woffendon 57, a Beerseller, her son Walter Woffendon 14, a Labourer, son-in-law Tom Bridge 39, also a Labourer, daughter Betsy Wright 28, grandaughter Mary Wright 2 and a Boarder Edward Taylor 50, a Clogger.



 1881 
Census
Number 76 was occupied by George Doodson 59, a Draper, wife Elizabeth 60, daughters Sarah Doodson 39, a Domestic Servant, Harriett Doodson 29, a Winder of Cotton, son William Doodson 20 a Labourer in Print Works and grandsons Thomas Doodson 15, an Assistant to an Engraver (Cotton Printing) and Henry Doodson 2, a Scholar.
Number 2 Arundel Street known as the Victoria Inn was occupied by Thomas Bridge 42, a Beerhouse Keeper, his son Joe Bridge 20, a Clerk and house keeper Martha King 53.



 1891 
Census
Number 76 was occupied by George Doodson 69, a Draper, wife Elizabeth Doodson 76, daughter Harriet Doodson 39, a Drappers Assistant and son Henry Doodson 15, a Telegraph Messenger.
2 Arundel Street was occupied by John Cooper 39, an Inn Keeper and wife Mary Hannah Cooper 36.



 1895 
Kelly’s Directory
Doodson George, draper, 76 High street west
Cooper John, beer retailer, 78 High street west



 1899 
Kelly’s Directory
Doodson Sarah & Harriet (Misses), drapers, 76 High st. we



 1901 
Census
Number 76 was occupied by Sarah Doodson 59, a Draper and her niece Mary Doodson 13.



 1910 


The Victoria Inn can just be seen on the left hand side. The Glossop Tramway ran for 24 years from 1903 to 1927, a single-track 4½ mile line running from Hadfield Station, weaving around a number of mills to terminate outside the Queens Arms in Old Glossop. It thought that the tram pictured would have been maroon and cream.



 1911 
Census
Number 76 was a property with 3 main rooms occupied by Sarah Doodson 69, single and a Draper.
Number 78 was a property with 5 main rooms known as the Victoria Inn occupied by Joseph Crompton 43, a Publican, his wife Grace Crompton 41, married 16 years with 4 children (1 died), Ernest Crompton 12, at School, Annice Crompton 11 and Edward Crompton 10. Also at this address was Joseph’s father James Crompton 69, a widower.



 1912 
Kelly’s Directory 1912
Doodson Sarah (Miss), draper, 76 High street west
Crompton Joseph, beer retailer, 78 High street west



 1925 
Kelly’sDirectory
Foy Thomas, fishmonger, 76 High street west & Derby street
Crompton Joseph, beer retailer, 78 High street west



 1926 
Midland Counties of England Trades Directory
Foy, T., Fruiterer/greengrocer, 76 High Street West



 1932 
Kelly’s Directory
Crompton Joseph, beer retailer, 78 High street west



 1935 


Far left is the Victoria Inn with a RAC hanging sign on the corner of the building and lantern above the doorway. Photograph courtesy of Mike Hallam.



 2000 


Photograph courtesy of Glossop & District Historical Society.



 2009 
Google Street View
Shows The Corner Cupboard Public House



 2014 


Photo taken in 2014 by Glossop VAH.