The Glossop VAH Project
 Glossop VAH Project
 Glossop VAH
80 High Street West 76-78 High Street West
Pizza Plus
80 High Street West

Arundel Street
Corner Cupboard Public House
76-78 High Street West

Edward Street
The Friendship Inn
Arundel Street

Surrey Street
Summary

 1850 
Post Office Directory
Branwood Margaret (Mrs.), dressmaker, Arundel street
Hambleton George, bobbin manufacturer, Arundel street
Lewis John, auctioneer & appraiser, Arundel street
Yates Sarah (Mrs.), dressmaker, Arundel street



 1895 
Kelly’s Directory
Connor Patrick, beer retailer, 25 Arrundel street



 1899 
Kelly’s Directory
Connor Patrick, beer retailer, 25 Arrundel street



 1904 


An advertisment from ’Glossop - A Sketch From The Earliest Period’ printed and published by Messrs. Jenkinson and Hamnett in 1904.



 1912 
Kelly’s Directory
Smith John, leather seller & beer retailer, 24 Arrundel st



 1925 
Kelly’s Directory
Alexander Richard, beer retailer, 24 Arundel street
Crabtree Emily (Mrs.), fried fish dealer, 26 Arundel street
Crossland Walter W. & Sons, cotton waste dealers, 3 & 3a, Arundel street & 45 Edward street. T N 30
Glossop Motor Co. Ltd. motor engineers. Arundel st. T N 48
Knight Thomas, shopkeeper, 42 Arundel street
Mellor Samuel, beer retailer, 5 Arundel street



 1926 
Midland Counties of England Trades Directory
Crossland & Son, Cotton waste dealer, Arundel Street
Glossop Motor Co Ltd , Motor engineer, Arundel Street
Knight, T., Draper, 42 Arundel Street



 1932 
Kelly’s Directory
Alexander Isabel (Mrs.), beer retlr. (off), 24 Arundel st



 1941 
Kelly’s Directory
Bramwell Fred, shopkpr. 42 Arundel st
Willey Burton, cabinet mkr. 48 Arundel st
Friendship Inn (Jn. H. Hockenhull), 5 Arundel st
Wellgate Webb Ellen (Mrs.), beer retlr. 24 Arundel st
Glossop Motor Co. Ltd. motor engineers. Arundel st. T N 48



 1978 
English Heritage Description
Glossop Gas Company offices, now commercial premises. 1845, converted C20. Rock-faced coursed millstone grit with ashlar dressings, vermiculated quoins and Welsh slate roof.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Street front has symmetrical 5 window range. Central doorway with stone pilasters and pediment, metal door with rectangular overlight, flanked by 2 tall roundheaded windows with vermiculated keystones and C20 windows with horizontal glazing bars. Above 5 similar windows. Ashlar band between floors inscribed:- ’GLOSSOP GAS WORKS ESTABLISHED AD 1845’. Moulded cornice and cast-iron rainwater goods. Left and right returns topped with pediments, each with 2 similar round headed windows to each floor with plain keystones. Rear elevation has symmetrical 5 window range. Slightly off-centre round headed doorway with pilaster surround and boarded fanlight, to right small round headed window. Either side 2 round headed windows with keystones and C20 windows with horizontal glazing bars and boarded fanlights. Above tall central round headed window with margin light glazing flanked by 2 round headed windows similar to those below.
INTERIOR: has wooden staircase with turned balusters to entrance hall and panelled doors to ground floor.
© English Heritage 1978.
The National Heritage List Text Entries contained in this material were obtained on 3/4/2019. The most publicly available up to date National Heritage List Text Entries can be obtained from www.english-heritage.org.uk.



 2007 


Photograph courtesy of Glossop & District Historical Society.



 2013 


Arundel House with its distinctive curved elevation occupies the corner of Arundel Street and Bernard Street. Photograph taken by Mike Tomlinson.



 2013 


The Glossop Gas Works established in 1845 is an impressive industrial building of rough Ashlar and decorated quoins, 4 arched windows to the ground floor with a central doorway with flat pilasters below simple corbels and a pediment. 5 similar arched widows to the first floor. Photograph taken by Mike Tomlinson.



 2014 


Photo taken in 2014 by Glossop VAH.