|Northern Car Audio|
100 High Street West
100 High Street West on the far right, Shrewsbury Street, Glossop Brook and then 102-104 HSW. This picture was taken from onboard a tram, Glossop Tramways operated from 20 August 1903 to 24 December 1927 promoted by the Urban Electric Supply Company Limited.
Sheppard Martha (Mrs.) & Son, mineral water manufacturers, Shrewsbury street
Platt Fred & Son, bakers, 5 Shrewsbury st. T N 284
Cheetham H. & Co. mineral water mfrs. 24 Shrewsbury st
Shrewsbury Street Gasometer. Photograph courtesy of Cliff Hales.
English Heritage Grade II Listed Building
Formerly known as: Methodist Chapel and Sunday School SHREWSBURY STREET. Methodist chapel and adjoining sunday school, now industrial and commercial premises. 1855 converted C20. Ashlar with ashlar dressings to front elevation, coursed millstone grit to others. Welsh slate roofs.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Front of former church has ashlar 3 window facade topped with coped pediment with quatrefoil to apex. The centre bay slightly projecting below cornice level.Central round headed doorway in moulded ashlar surround with C20 glazed doors, flanked by single C20 bow windows. Above central Venetian window flanked by single round headed windows with recessed aprons, now boarded. Right return has watershot masonry in diminishing courses and 5 windows. Console shaped corbels to eaves. Five 30-pane windows with above five 15-pane windows with recessed aprons. Former Sunday School set at right angles with gable front to road has symmetrical 3 window front with quatrefoil in gable. Central round headed doorway with double doors and Gothick fanlight, above large Venetian window with Gothick glazing, and sill on carved consoles. Either side single tall round headed windows with Gothick glazing. Small round headed doorway to left with subdivided fanlight. Attached cast-iron railings to front boundary with central gate and fleur-de-lys finials. Right return has 5 plain buttresses, to left inserted C20 window and to right large inserted entrance. Rear elevation has louvred opening to apex of gable. 2 central windows, flanked by 2 doorways, the outer ones taller. Above large Venetian window with Gothick glazing.
INTERIOR: church has wooden gallery to three sides, supported on cast-iron pillars. Moulded plaster cornices and elaborate ceiling roses. Sunday school has wall stencil "Sabbath Schools are England’s Glory".
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached to right corner boundary wall with ashlar coping and square gate piers with moulded pyramidal caps and cast-iron gates with fleur-de-lys finials.
© English Heritage 1978.
The National Heritage List Text Entries contained in this material were obtained on 31/12/2013. The most publicly available up to date National Heritage List Text Entries can be obtained from www.english-heritage.org.uk.
The old Public Convenience, now demolished. Photograph courtesy of Glossop & District Historical Society.
Shrewsbury Street with Kwik Save store in the distance. Photograph courtesy of Glossop & District Historical Society.
Google Street View
Shows Shrewsbury Street with bridge over Glossop Brook to the left and red phone box left again
Photo taken in 2014 by Glossop VAH.