The Glossop VAH Project
 Glossop VAH Project
 Glossop VAH
142 High Street West 138 High Street West
Fones Mart
142 High Street West
Vegas Barber
140 High Street West
Residential
138 High Street West



Summary
Formerly The Sewing Box, Ashley’s flower shop.

 1895 
Kelly’s Directory
Rathbone John, boot maker, 140 High street west



 1899 
Kelly’s Directory
Watkins Thomas, shopkeeper, 140 High street west



 1903 


136 - 140 High Street West with the raised awnings. This picture was taken from onboard a tram, Glossop Tramways operated from 20 August 1903 to 24 December 1927 promoted by the Urban Electric Supply Company Limited.



 1911 
Census
Number 140 was a property with 7 main rooms occupied by Henry James Blount 63, a Watch Clock & Jewelry Repairer, his wife Sarah Ann Blount 56, married 38 years with 4 children (3 died), Albert John Blount 24, a Musical Director for a Theatre Band.



 1925 
Kelly’sDirectory
Lester Edwin, fruiterer, 140 High street west



 1926 
Midland Counties of England Trades Directory
Lester, E., Fruiterer/greengrocer, 140 High St West



 1932 
Kelly’s Directory
Lester Joe, fruitr. 140 High st. west



 1941 
Kelly’s Directory
Lester Joe, fruitr. 140 High st. west



 1960 


A Jackson Opticians in the 1960s. Photograph courtesy of Cliff Hales.



 2000 


Joan’s Fabricks, The Sewing Shop. Photograph courtesy of Glossop & District Historical Society.



 2004 


Photograph courtesy of Glossop & District Historical Society.



 2009 
Google Street View
Shows The Sewing Box



 2013 
Glossopdale Townscape Heritage Initiative
Grant application towards reinstatement of timber traditional shop front, new stallriser and new signage. Click here for PDF document.



 2014 


Photo taken in 2014 by Glossop VAH.



 2016 


Ashley’s flower shop, photo taken by Glossop VAH, February 2016.