|Victoria Hall & Library
|Adult Education Centre
|St Luke's Church
Dinting Road / Howard Park
An advertisment from ’Glossop - A Sketch From The Earliest Period’ printed and published by Messrs. Jenkinson and Hamnett in 1904.
An photo from ’Glossop - A Sketch From The Earliest Period’ printed and published by Messrs. Jenkinson and Hamnett in 1904.
The Glossop Grammar School, Talbot street, founded in 1900 by Lord Howard of Glossop, & equipped with physical & chemical laboratories, art rooms & workshops; the laboratories are well equipped with modern apparatus & appliances. The school has advanced courses. In (1) science & mathematics, (2) modern studies; pupils pass on to Oxford, Cambridge, Manchester &c. Universities. The school is controlled by governors appointed by the Education Committee of the Borough of Glossop; Charles H. Chambers B.Sc.Eng. head master.
Once a year the Glossop and District Photographic Society would hold its annual exhibition in the Town Hall. For a bit of fun Cliff Hales would occasionally make a quiz, with some "mystery" photos of Glossop, and a modest prize for the winner. This photo is from his 1974 quiz, photo courtesy of Cliff Hales.
English Heritage Grade II Listed Building.
Technical school, grammar school and then adult education centre. Built 1899-01. Paid for by the 2nd Lord Howard of Glossop. Ashlar with ashlar dressings and graduated Westmorland slate roofs. 3 moulded stone chimney stacks. 2 storey over deep basement. Moulded plinth, first floor band and eaves cornice.
North entrance front has recessed 5 window centre flanked by 3 window gabled wings. The central round headed doorway has double panel doors and ornate iron fanlight, ashlar surround has pilasters and moulded keystone. Either side two small windows in moulded surrounds, above a central double window flanked on either side by two single windows divided by ashlar pilasters. Projecting wings both have quoins and 3 glazing bar sashes in moulded ashlar surrounds on the ground floor, and above 3 round headed glazing bar sash windows on the upper floor. They have linked and moulded ashlar surrounds. Both gables have ashlar coping and ball finials.
West front has 4 glazing bar windows in the basement, and 4 glazing bar sashes above in moulded ashlar surrounds. Upper floor has two pairs of glazing bar sashes, those to right round headed in single through-eaves gabled dormer.
East front has low 2 storey wing with various small glazing bar sash windows.
South front has 5 large glazing bar sashes in the recessed centre on the ground floor and 3 smaller similar sashes above. Slightly projecting wings have 3 large glazing bar sash windows on the ground floor and three similar round headed windows above.
INTERIOR has dramatic 2 storey hall and staircase. This hall has elaborate wooden internal porch with half-glazed doors, overlights and panelled sides. Either side 2-light Imperial staircase to upper gallery opposite with ornate cast-iron balustrade and moulded mahogany handrail.
© English Heritage 2003.
The National Heritage List Text Entries contained in this material were obtained on 17/2/2016. The most publicly available up to date National Heritage List Text Entries can be obtained from www.english-heritage.org.uk.
Photo taken in 2014 by Glossop VAH.
Photo taken in April 2019 by Colin Ashcroft.