The Glossop VAH Project
 Glossop VAH Project
 Glossop VAH
Gladstone Street 35-47 Victoria Street

Gladstone Street
Bodycheck
Victoria Street

35-47 Victoria Street



Summary

 1886 
Littlemoor Independent School opened.



 1895 
Kelly’s Directory
Congregational, Victoria Street (mixed), built in 1881, for 700 children; average attendance, 270; Joseph Walkden, master; Miss M. I. G. Scafe, infants’ mistress.



 1899 
Kelly’s Directory
Congregational, Victoria Street (mixed), built in 1881, for 700 children; average attendance, 340; Joseph Walkden, master; Miss M. Jones, infants’ mistress.



 1912 
Kelly’s Directory
Littlemoor, Council, Victoria Street (mixed), built in 1881, for 700 children; average attendance, 257; Hy. Lindsay Hudson, master.
Congregational, Littlemoor, Rev. William Pillans Rankin; 10.30 a.m. & 6. p.m.; wed 7.30 p.m.; seat 800



 1932 
Kelly’s Directory
Littlemoor Congregational chapel, founded in 1811, has 800 sittings. Rev. Thomas Arthur Bairstow
Littlemoor Congretational schools, Victoria street, erected in 1881 at a cost, including fittings, of about ?3,000, form a building of stone in the Italian style, and will hold 700 scholars; the schools are also used for lectures and concerts, and can be arranged so as to seat 1,000 persons: the front entrance, facing Victoria street, is surmounted by a turret 75 feet high.



 1978 
English Heritage Grade II Listed Building
Church, now gymnasium. 1811, converted C20. By Hadfield. Coursed millstone grit with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roof.
PLAN: rectangular plan with polygonal apse.
EXTERIOR: single storey. Moulded cornice. Street front has projecting central section with quoins and open pediment. 3 central round headed window in moulded surrounds flanked by single round headed doorways with double panel doors. Above central Venetian window with margin light glazing and moulded hood, above again small semicircular opening in moulded surround with bracketed sill. Side elevations each have 5 windows to ground and gallery level, all with margin light glazing bar sashes. Rear apse with bellcote finial over semicircular opening.
INTERIOR: galleries removed.
© English Heritage 1978.
The National Heritage List Text Entries contained in this material were obtained on 25/01/2014. The most publicly available up to date National Heritage List Text Entries can be obtained from www.english-heritage.org.uk.



 1978 
English Heritage Grade II Listed Building
Church sunday school, now factory. 1881 with C20 alterations. Coursed millstone grit with polychromatic ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roofs with coped gables and kneelers. Crenellated stone stacks.
STYLE: Venetian Gothic Revival.
PLAN: L-plan with south-west corner tower and porch.
EXTERIOR: 2 storey. Street front has 4 windows arranged 3:1 with tower to right. To right projecting gabled porch with pointed polychromatic arch doorway with flanking columns and ornate double doors with boarded fanlight. Tall square tower
has single 2-light pointed arch window, and top stage with double pointed arches supported on columns to each face with single window and tiny window above to each arch. Square pyramidal hipped roof with ball finial. To left 2 pairs of pointed polychromatic arch windows with single columns between and pointed relieving arches above. Beyond to left single pointed polychromatic arch window. Above flush ashlar band and similar window arrangement with continuous sill band, though without relieving arches. Left return has 6 windows arranged 5:1. To right single window, taller gabled wing with paired pointed polychromatic arch windows with column between and under single pointed relieving arch. Above similar pair of pointed polychromatic arch windows with column between. To left 5 pairs of flat headed windows with plain sashes, those at either end with doorway to left, and above 5 pointed polychromatic arch windows. Right return has windows with flat headed lintels, and blocked door to tower. Rear lean-to addition.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached to front low boundary wall with chamfered ashlar coping topped with ornate cast-iron railings with trefoil finials to uprights and to right gateway with square ashlar gate piers with chamfered corners and pyramidal caps and pair of ornate cast-iron gates with trefoil finials to uprights and dog bars.
© English Heritage 1978.
The National Heritage List Text Entries contained in this material were obtained on 31/12/2013. The most publicly available up to date National Heritage List Text Entries can be obtained from www.english-heritage.org.uk.



 2014 


Stone work above one of the entrance doors, could posibly say, "1881 LONGMOOR INDEPENENT SCHOOLS".



 2014 


Photo taken in 2014 by Glossop VAH.