The Glossop VAH Project
 Glossop VAH Project
 Glossop VAH
5 High Street West 9-11 High Street West
Cancer Research UK
5 High Street West
Vacant
7 High Street West
Heron Foods
9-11 High Street West
Water Trough
Norfolk Square
Telephone Boxes
Norfolk Square

Summary
This retail property has always been a chemist, most notably Finlay McKinlay’s and recently William Hill Bookmakers and before that Cohen’s Chemist, property now empty.

 1838 


The premises were built by Bernard Edward Howard the 12th Duke of Norfolk.



 1838 
Benjamin Greaves, a blacksmith, built number 7 High Street West as part of the 12th Duke of Norfolk’s Town Hall and shops vision.



 1846 
Rateable Value of 7 High Street West in 1846 before the market opened £18 0s 0d



 1852 
Thomas Peacock Wreaks the first Chemist and Druggist became one of the first members of the Pharmaceutical Society on 1st July 1852.



 1871 
Census
Number 7 was occupied by Robert Proctor 28, a Chemist & Druggist, wife Helen Proctor 25, daughter Ellen Proctor 1 and Robert’s mother Mary Proctor 68. Also at this address was Mary Slater 23, a Domestic Servant.



 1881 
Census
Number 7 was occupied by Robert Proctor 39, a Chemist & Druggist. wife Louisa Proctor 37, daughters Ada Proctor 10, Mary Gwendoline Proctor 8, sons William Stanley Proctor 6, Arthur Proctor 3 and his uncle William Hartley 69, a Retired Cotton Dresser. Also at this address was Lisie Wilkinson 21, a Domestic Servant.



 1891 
Kelly’s Directory
Proctor Robert, chemist & drysalter, 7 High street west



 1891 
Census
Number 7 was occupied by Robert Provter 49, a Chemist & Drugist, wife Helen R Proctor 49, a Manageress, daughters Ada Proctor 21, a Proffesor of Music, Mary G Proctor 18, an Artist and sons William S Proctor 16, a Chemist’s Apprentice and Arthur Proctor 14, a Draper’s ? Apprentice. Also at this address was Lily Birch 18, a Domestic Servant.



 1895 
Post Office Derbyshire Directory
Proctor Robert, chemist & drysalter, 7 High street west



 1899 
Kelly’s Directory
Moran Wm. J. G. chemist & drysalter, 7 High st. west



 1901 
Census
Number 7 was occupied by William J G Moran 32, a Chemist & Drugist, his wife Louisa Moran 32, daughter Winifred G Moran 4 and his sister Helena J Moran 33.



 1903 
Rateable Value of 7 High Street West in 1903 after the market opened £68 0s 0d



 1904 


An advertisment from ’Glossop - A Sketch From The Earliest Period’ printed and published by Messrs. Jenkinson and Hamnett in 1904.



 1904 


An photo from ’Glossop - A Sketch From The Earliest Period’ printed and published by Messrs. Jenkinson and Hamnett in 1904.



 1911 
Census
Number 7 was a property with 6 main rooms occupied by William J G Moran 40, a widower and a Chemist, his daughters Winifred Grace Moran 14, Kathleen Mary Moran 9, Evelyn Mary Moran 5 and his sister-in-law Annie Crannage 42, single and a Housekeeper.



 1912 
Kelly’s Directory
Moran Wm. J. G. chemist & drysalter, 7 High st. west



 1920 


Number 7 is just behind the policeman in white, the Duke of Norfolk’s Arms is clearly visible. Photograph courtesy of Glossop Heritage Trust.



 1925 
Kelly’sDirectory
McKinlay Finlay, chemist, 7 High street west. T N 44



 1926 


Midland Counties Trade Directory
M’Kinlay, Finlay, Chemist/pharmacist, 7 High Street West



 1932 
Kelly’s Directory
McKinlay Finlay M.P.S. chemist, 7 High st. west. T N 44



 1941 
Kelly’s Directory
McKinlay Finlay, chemist, 7 High st. west. T N 44



 1950 


Finlay McKinlay Chemist. Photograph courtesy of Glossop Heritage Trust.



 1974 


Once a year the Glossop and District Photographic Society would hold its annual exhibition in the Town Hall. For a bit of fun Cliff Hales would occasionally make a quiz, with some "mystery" photos of Glossop, and a modest prize for the winner. This photo is from his 1974 quiz, photo courtesy of Cliff Hales.



 1994 


Finlay McKinlay Chemist with the Duke of Norfolk’s Arms between the two first floor sash windows. Photograph courtesy of Glossop & District Historical Society.



 2004 


Photograph courtesy of Glossop & District Historical Society.



 2004 


Photograph courtesy of Glossop & District Historical Society.



 2007 


Cohens Chemist. Photograph courtesy of Glossop & District Historical Society.



 2009 
Google Street View
Shows Cohens Chemist



 2013 
Property for Let with Maddison Commericial; 7 High St West is a stone-built part 2-storey, part 3-storey property with a prominent frontage to Glossop’s principal retail pitch. The premises provide ground floor sales of 500 sq ft (46.4 sq m) with ancillary ground floor storage of 460 sq ft (42.7 sq m). The basement, first and second floors offer additional storage totalling approximately 1,510 sq ft (140.2 sq m). The ground floor area may provide scope for reconfiguration so as to produce a larger sales area. Available by way of a new full repairing and insuring lease of negotiable length at £25,000 pa, exclusive of rates & VAT.



 2014 


William Hill bookmakers opened in April after a 900 named petition failed to stop the gambling company from turning a listed building into a betting shop, although the premises has been sensitively renovated and a shop sign dating from about 1920 was uncovered (see photo), a new sign has been placed over the original one.



 2019 
William Hill bookmakers closed and property for let; 7 High St West is a stone-built part 2-storey, part 3-storey property with a prominent frontage to Glossop’s principal retail pitch. The premises provide ground floor sales of 500 sq ft (46.4 sq m) with ancillary ground floor storage of 460 sq ft (42.7 sq m). The basement, first and second floors offer additional storage totalling approximately 1,510 sq ft (140.2 sq m). The ground floor area may provide scope for reconfiguration so as to produce a larger sales area. Available by way of a new full repairing and insuring lease of negotiable length at £25,000 pa, exclusive of rates & VAT.