|Howard Town Mill
|Wrens Nest Mill
High Street West
In 1783, William Sheppard built the first recorded mill on the Site, making use of the Blackshaw Clough as a water supply. During the 18th century it was also know as Starkies’, or Rolf’s mill.
At its peak in the second quarter of the 19th century it comprised two mills, one powered by a 27hp steam engine and 18hp water wheel, and the other was powered by a smaller 12hp steam engine and a larger water wheel generating 30hp. In 1836 there was a workforce of 400, who operated 6,960 Throstle and 10,741 Mule spindles, and 495 looms. It underwent a period of decline in the latter years of the 19th century eventually becoming disused.
Ordnance Survey map 1897.
In 1904/5 it was taken over by Isacc Jackson, who converted it from a cotton mill to a factory dedicated to the production of metal fastenings, nuts, bolts and parts for the automotive industry.
"Isaac’s fortune came not just from his ingenuity in developing the belt fastener and associated products but by turning the factory over to munitions in WW1. He patented a particular fuze that overcame design faults in those previously used. His fortune was further enhanced by two speculative ventures. First there was Jacksons Buildings and then there was The Angus Hotel on the north side of Blackfriars Bridge in London." - Peter Quinn (Great-Grandson of Isaac Jackson) (February 2019).
Production of Jackson’s products finally ceased at Hawkshead Mill by the 1980s.
The last inhabitants of Hawkshead Mill were Flexco, a conveyor belt fastening manufacturer. Flexco moved out in 2005 and the mill, it’s understood, was never occupied again.
Hawkshead Mill before demolision.
A full planning application was submitted in 2012, under reference HPK/2012/0537. This was a joint application by the current owners of the site and house builder Seddon Homes, proposing the Demolition of Hawkshead Mill and the Erection of 34 Dwellings. This application was refused in April 2013, on the grounds that it encroached into the Green Belt.
A Planning Supporting Statement was prepared to accompany the outline planning application, proposing the residential redevelopment of at land Hawkshead Mill in Old Glossop. The planning application was made on behalf of Pinstripe Clothing Company, the owner of the site. The proposal sought to secure the principle of redeveloping this sustainable, brownfield site for
up to 30 dwellings.