The Glossop VAH Project
 Glossop VAH Project
 Glossop VAH

What's New

Below are the most recently added articles and photographs with links to the appropriate property page.

2883 ~ 2 Howard Street ~ Star Inn ~ (2019)


Inside the Star Inn, August 2019, picture coutesy of Gwilty@padfield via Twitter.

2882 ~ 17-25 Victoria Street ~ ~ (1904)


17 - 25 Victoria Street are in the centre of this photo, with the Albion Hotel left and the Theatre Royal right, sometime after 1904. Picture courtesy of Trefor Thomas.

2881 ~ 9 - 15 Victoria Street ~ Inc The Brook Tavern ~ (1904)


The Albion Hotel, left, sometime after 1904 when the Theatre Royal, right, was erected. The licensee about this time (1905 - 1915) was George E. Russell. Picture courtesy of Trefor Thomas.

2880 ~ 8 - 38 Victoria Street ~ ~ (1904)


Sydney Spence of Sleaford, Lincolnshire, well known to the London stage and the wider theatrical world, literally brought the Theatre Royal to Glossop in December 1904, on the back of a freight steam train from it former home in Hucknall Torkard near Nottingham. The building was a prefabricated wooden structure with a corrugated iron roof and was quickly erected on what is now the car park off Victoria Street next to the market. Picture courtesy of Trefor Thomas.

2879 ~ 119 High Street West ~ Tung Fong ~ (1977)


To the left of this photo, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2878 ~ 121 High Street West ~ Kathryn Jefreys The Dress Agency ~ (1977)


To the left of this photo, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2877 ~ 123 High Street West ~ Kathryn Jefreys Hair Design ~ (0000)


Center of this photo with the ladders, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2876 ~ 125 High Street West ~ The Retreat ~ (1977)


Center of this photo with the post box, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2875 ~ 127-129 High Street West ~ inc. The Ironing Shop ~ (1977)


To right of this photo, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2874 ~ 122 High Street West ~ Skyprobe ~ (1960)


Staff of the old-style grocers, in their backyard, 1960s. They sold everything by weight including butter. The owners were Mr Lynch (left) and Mr Winterbotham (right). The owner’s son Eric is also in the photo.

Photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.


2873 ~ Chapel Street ~ Central Methodist Church ~ (1976)


Central Methodist Church, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2872 ~ Chapel Street ~ Central Methodist Church ~ (1976)


Central Methodist Church, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2871 ~ Chapel Street ~ Central Methodist Church ~ (1976)


Central Methodist Church, mid 1970s, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2870 ~ Chapel Street ~ Central Methodist Church ~ (2004)


Chapel Street with the Central Methodist Church in the distance. Photograph courtesy of Glossop & District Historical Society.

2869 ~ Chapel Street ~ Central Methodist Church ~ (1976)


Central Methodist Church, Chapel Street, mid 1970s, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2868 ~ Municipal Building ~ HPBC ~ (1976)


The Council’s Municipal Building, mid 1970s, photograph taken with a telephoto lens by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2867 ~ 5 High Street West ~ Cancer Research UK ~ (1976)


The Norweb Electricity shop can be seen on the left, mid 1970s, is that £16.48 for a cooker and a free Kenwood blender? Photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2866 ~ 7 High Street West ~ Vacant ~ (1976)


Finlay McKinlay’s chemist, mid 1970s, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2865 ~ Norfolk Square ~ Water Trough ~ (1976)


Water Trough with Midland Bank in the background, mid 1970s, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2864 ~ Norfolk Square ~ ~ (1976)


Norfolk Square war memorial, mid 1970s, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2863 ~ Arundel Street ~ ~ (1976)


Arundel Street, opposite the Friendship pub (out of shot to the right). Behind this house can be seen the 2nd Glossop Scouts, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2862 ~ 76-78 High Street West ~ Corner Cupboard Public House ~ (1976)


The Victoria Inn, Garsides Ales has been painted over as it’s now a Bass pub, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2861 ~ Railway Yard ~ ~ (1976)


Wooden hut, mid 1970s, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2860 ~ 49 High Street West ~ Vacant ~ (1976)


Irvine Dearnaley & Son, Paint Merchants, mid 1970s, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2859 ~ Victoria Street ~ Victoria Bridge ~ (1976)


Victoria Bridge, mid 1970s, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2858 ~ Gate House, Victoria Street ~ Dominoes Pizza ~ (1976)


Gate House and Lux Lux complex behind, mid 1970s, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2857 ~ 13 Jackson Buildings, Victoria Street ~ Hadfield Bakery ~ (1976)


G. H. Ward, Bridge End House, Bakers and Confectioners, mid 1970s, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2856 ~ 38-42 High Street West ~ The Courtyard Kitchens ~ (1976)


Garsides of Glossop, home furnishers, mid 1970s, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2855 ~ High Street West ~ Vacant ~ (1976)


Citizens Advice Bureau mid 1970s, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2854 ~ 122 High Street West ~ Skyprobe ~ (1976)


Glossop Upholstery Service shop mid 1970s, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2853 ~ 114 High Street West ~ Naseeb Indian Restaurant ~ (1976)


Eddie Conway’s wood shop mid 1970s, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2852 ~ 46-50 High Street West ~ Ayubowan / Reeds Raines / Coral ~ (1976)


Norwest Coop, some of the posters in the window read, Double stamps on Wednesday, Birds Eye Garden Peas 22p, HP Baked Beans 11½p, Lurpak Butter 18½p, Nescafe 47p, Whiskas 17p, Stork Margarine 10p, 2lb Sugar 21½p and 2p off large loaves.

There is also a red triangle with Price Check and this was a scheme introduced in Feb 76, it was a counter-inflation scheme to keep price increases for selected goods and services within a 5% ceiling. The scheme lasted for 6 months. There is also a poster about wines and spirits still at pre-budget prices which would date this photo about April - May 1976.

Photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.


2851 ~ 138 High Street West ~ Residential ~ (1976)


Cliff Hales’ photography and watch repair shop, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2850 ~ 2 - 6 Norfolk Street ~ Barclays Bank ~ (1976)


Barclays Bank mid 1970s, photograph taken by Cliff Hales with thanks to Chris Hales.

2849 ~ Railway Station ~ B&M & Railway Station ~ (1954)


Railway poster from 1954 introducing the new electrified line between Manchester Piccadilly and Glossop / Hadfield.

2848 ~ Sumners Place ~ ~ (1971)


The Glossop flood 1971. The people in the photo appear to be sheltering under blocks of Polystyrene whilst a Bedford coal truck braves the elements, followed by a VW Beetle. Photograph courtesy of Cliff Hales.

2847 ~ 259 - 271 High Street West ~ ~ (1971)


The Glossop flood 1971. The people in the photo appear to be sheltering under blocks of Polystyrene whilst a Bedford coal truck braves the elements, followed by a VW Beetle. Photograph courtesy of Cliff Hales.

2846 ~ Sumners Place ~ ~ (1971)


The Glossop flood 1971. Photograph courtesy of Cliff Hales.

2845 ~ 259 - 271 High Street West ~ ~ (1971)


The Glossop flood 1971. Photograph courtesy of Cliff Hales.

2844 ~ 259 - 271 High Street West ~ ~ (1899)
Kelly’s Directory
Dyson Joseph, boot & shoe repairer, 269 High street west
Conner John, shopkeeper, 271 High st. west


2843 ~ 259 - 271 High Street West ~ ~ (1895)
Kelly’s Directory
Conner John, shopkeeper, 271 High street west


2842 ~ 7 High Street West ~ Vacant ~ (2019)


The mosiac floor in front of the main door. Picture taken in May 2019 by Glossop VAH.

2841 ~ Union Street ~ ~ (2018)


Victorian iron and wood street name sign, photograph taken by Robert Hamnett of Glossop Curiosities on Twitter.


2840 ~ Lord Street ~ ~ (2019)


Photo taken in April 2019 by Colin Ashcroft.

2839 ~ Charles Street ~ ~ (2019)


Photo taken in April 2019 by Colin Ashcroft.

2838 ~ Norfolk Street ~ ~ (2019)


Photo taken in April 2019 by Colin Ashcroft.

2837 ~ Fitzalan Street ~ Adult Education Centre ~ (2019)


Photo taken in April 2019 by Colin Ashcroft.

2836 ~ Talbot Street ~ Victoria Hall & Library ~ (2019)


Photo taken in April 2019 by Colin Ashcroft.

2835 ~ Talbot Road ~ ~ (2019)


Photo taken in April 2019 by Colin Ashcroft.

2834 ~ Fauvel Road ~ St Luke's Church ~ (2019)


Photo taken in April 2019 by Colin Ashcroft.

2833 ~ 22 Norfolk Street ~ Harvey Leonard's Wine & Ale ~ (2019)
The Crystal Ballroom occupies a large, recently renovated, third floor space within the former Glossop Conservative Club building. Originally built in 1909 the Ballroom’s stunning Edwardian architecture creates a spectacular, functional and creative space, certain to make any event something special.

2832 ~ High Street West ~ Town Hall ~ (2019)


Scaffolding surrounds the town hall and market hall, early 2019, while a muti million pound refurbishment is undertaken by G F Tomlinson Group Limited of Little Eaton, Derby.

2831 ~ Arundel Street ~ The Friendship Inn ~ (2019)


Friendship Inn in April 2019.

2830 ~ 144 High Street West ~ The Globe Public House ~ (1833)
Built in 1833 by Joseph Wilson, although the first alehouse licence was not granted until 1846 to Joseph Woodcock.

2829 ~ Arundel Street ~ The Friendship Inn ~ (1852)
Built in 1852 by Hugh Green.

2828 ~ 76-78 High Street West ~ Corner Cupboard Public House ~ (1833)
Built in 1833, the first licensee was James Ollerenshaw and was originally called the Victoria Inn..

2827 ~ 13 Bernard Street ~ Formerly The Bush ~ (1847)
Built in 1847 by George Frost.

2826 ~ Bernard Street ~ Victoria Lounge ~ (1846)
Built in 1846 although the first licence to Thomas Fielding may not have granted until 1857.

2825 ~ Norfolk Square ~ Norfolk Arms ~ (1829)
A tontine is an investment plan for raising capital, devised in the 17th century and relatively widespread in the 18th and 19th centuries. It combines features of a group annuity and a lottery. Each subscriber pays an agreed sum into the fund, and thereafter receives an annuity. As members die, their shares devolve to the other participants, and so the value of each annuity increases. On the death of the last member, the scheme is wound up. In 1829 a Deed was drawn up for a tontine to purchase the inn, 40 shares, each costing £50 were issued to 19 Nominors, including the Duke of Norfolk who took out 8 shares. It’s thought this annuity paid out when half of the participants had died.

2824 ~ Norfolk Square ~ Norfolk Arms ~ (1822)
The first licensee was Samuel Allington.

2823 ~ 22 Norfolk Street ~ Harvey Leonard's Wine & Ale ~ (1838)
Built in 1838 by Jonathan Bowden as the Railway Inn.

2822 ~ 34 Norfolk Street ~ George Hotel ~ (1836)
Built in 1836, the first licensee was Joseph Higginbottom.

2821 ~ 2 Howard Street ~ Star Inn ~ (1837)
Built in 1837, the first licensee was Joseph Bowden a joiner.

2820 ~ Arundel Street ~ ~ (1978)
English Heritage Description
Glossop Gas Company offices, now commercial premises. 1845, converted C20. Rock-faced coursed millstone grit with ashlar dressings, vermiculated quoins and Welsh slate roof.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Street front has symmetrical 5 window range. Central doorway with stone pilasters and pediment, metal door with rectangular overlight, flanked by 2 tall roundheaded windows with vermiculated keystones and C20 windows with horizontal glazing bars. Above 5 similar windows. Ashlar band between floors inscribed:- ’GLOSSOP GAS WORKS ESTABLISHED AD 1845’. Moulded cornice and cast-iron rainwater goods. Left and right returns topped with pediments, each with 2 similar round headed windows to each floor with plain keystones. Rear elevation has symmetrical 5 window range. Slightly off-centre round headed doorway with pilaster surround and boarded fanlight, to right small round headed window. Either side 2 round headed windows with keystones and C20 windows with horizontal glazing bars and boarded fanlights. Above tall central round headed window with margin light glazing flanked by 2 round headed windows similar to those below.
INTERIOR: has wooden staircase with turned balusters to entrance hall and panelled doors to ground floor.
© English Heritage 1978.
The National Heritage List Text Entries contained in this material were obtained on 3/4/2019. The most publicly available up to date National Heritage List Text Entries can be obtained from www.english-heritage.org.uk.


2819 ~ Old Glossop ~ Meadow Mill ~ (1897)


Ordnance Survey map 1897.

2818 ~ Chapel Street ~ Shepley Mill ~ (1897)


Ordnance Survey map 1897.

2817 ~ Old Glossop ~ Hawkshead Mill ~ (1897)


Ordnance Survey map 1897.

2816 ~ Victoria Street ~ Howard Town Mill ~ (1897)


Ordnance Survey map 1897.

2815 ~ High Street West ~ Wrens Nest Mill ~ (1897)


Ordnance Survey map 1897.

2814 ~ Sheffield Road ~ Cowbrook Mill / Hurst Mill ~ (1897)


Ordnance Survey map 1897.

2813 ~ Chapel Street ~ Shepley Mill ~ (1912)


Shepley Mill on Chapel Street about 1912.

2812 ~ Sheffield Road ~ Cowbrook Mill / Hurst Mill ~ (1965)
Derbyshire Heritage describes Cowbrook Mill being "in ruins in 1965".

2811 ~ Sheffield Road ~ Cowbrook Mill / Hurst Mill ~ (1891)


Directory 1891 Worrall’s Cotton Spinners
John Hadfield, Cowbrook Mill; 18,000 spindles, 55s/65s weft. Pay day first Wednesday after the 15th.
James Rowbottom (and cotton banding), Hurst Mill, Glossop; and Holehouse Mills, Broadbottom; 32,000 spindles. Telegrams, " Ropery, Broadbottom." -See advt.


2810 ~ Old Glossop ~ Meadow Mill ~ (1891)


Directory 1891 Worrall’s Cotton Spinners
Samuel Rowbottom (cotton banding and smallwares), Meadow Mills; 68s/32s. Pay day first Wednesday after the 15th of each month. - See advt.


2809 ~ High Street West ~ Wrens Nest Mill ~ (1891)


Directory 1891 Worrall’s Cotton Spinners
Francis Sumner and Co., Limited, Wren Nest Mills; 122,000 spindles; 2,541 looms, printers and shirtings. Pay day first Wednesday after the 15th. William Thorpe, manager; Theodore W. Ellison, secretary.


2808 ~ Victoria Street ~ Howard Town Mill ~ (1891)


Directory 1891 Worrall’s Cotton Spinners
221,000 spindles, 30s/50s; 3,860 looms. Pay day first Wednesday after the 15th. Telegrams, "Wood, Limited, Glossop." Thomas Rawstorne, manager; William Hall, secretary.


2807 ~ Chapel Street ~ Shepley Mill ~ (1891)


Directory 1891 Worrall’s Cotton Spinners
Shepley Mill Cotton Manufacturing Co, Limited, Shepley Mills, Chapel street; 43,000 spindles, 30s/34s twist, 36s/50s weft. Pay day first Wednesday after the 15th. Abel Dearnaley, manager; George Roberts, secretary.


2806 ~ Victoria Street ~ Howard Town Mill ~ (1891)
Kelly’s Directory 1891
Wood John & Brothers Limited, cotton spinners & manufacturers (William Hall, sec.), Howard Town mills.


2805 ~ 3 Jackson Buildings, Victoria Street ~ Pizza4U ~ (2014)


A recovery vehicle towing a broken down bus collided with buildings in Glossop town centre and became embedded. The collision occurred at around 6pm on 20 May 2014 with the bus becoming embedded in the shop fronts of a taxi company and a takeaway on Victoria Street. The recovery vehicle was wedged between a lamp post and the bank.

2804 ~ 132-134 High Street West ~ Vacant ~ (2016)


Company No9 designed and manufactured bespoke wooden furniture, they closed this store in 2019 and are now based in Dinting Lane Industrial Estate, photo taken by Glossop VAH, February 2016.

2803 ~ 140 High Street West ~ Vegas Barber ~ (2016)


Ashley’s flower shop, photo taken by Glossop VAH, February 2016.

2802 ~ Old Glossop ~ Hawkshead Mill ~ (2010)


Hawkshead Mill before demolision.

2801 ~ Old Glossop ~ Hawkshead Mill ~ (1914)
"Isaac’s fortune came not just from his ingenuity in developing the belt fastener and associated products but by turning the factory over to munitions in WW1. He patented a particular fuze that overcame design faults in those previously used. His fortune was further enhanced by two speculative ventures. First there was Jacksons Buildings and then there was The Angus Hotel on the north side of Blackfriars Bridge in London." - Peter Quinn (Great-Grandson of Isaac Jackson) (February 2019).

2800 ~ Old Glossop ~ Hawkshead Mill ~ (2005)
The last inhabitants of Hawkshead Mill were Flexco, a conveyor belt fastening manufacturer. Flexco moved out in 2005 and the mill, it’s understood, was never occupied again.

2799 ~ Old Glossop ~ Hawkshead Mill ~ (2014)
A Planning Supporting Statement was prepared to accompany the outline planning application, proposing the residential redevelopment of at land Hawkshead Mill in Old Glossop. The planning application was made on behalf of Pinstripe Clothing Company, the owner of the site. The proposal sought to secure the principle of redeveloping this sustainable, brownfield site for
up to 30 dwellings.


2798 ~ Old Glossop ~ Hawkshead Mill ~ (2012)
A full planning application was submitted in 2012, under reference HPK/2012/0537. This was a joint application by the current owners of the site and house builder Seddon Homes, proposing the Demolition of Hawkshead Mill and the Erection of 34 Dwellings. This application was refused in April 2013, on the grounds that it encroached into the Green Belt.

2797 ~ Old Glossop ~ Hawkshead Mill ~ (1980)
Production of Jackson’s products finally ceased at Hawkshead Mill by the 1980s.

2796 ~ Old Glossop ~ Hawkshead Mill ~ (1904)
In 1904/5 it was taken over by Isacc Jackson, who converted it from a cotton mill to a factory dedicated to the production of metal fastenings, nuts, bolts and parts for the automotive industry.

2795 ~ Old Glossop ~ Hawkshead Mill ~ (1836)
At its peak in the second quarter of the 19th century it comprised two mills, one powered by a 27hp steam engine and 18hp water wheel, and the other was powered by a smaller 12hp steam engine and a larger water wheel generating 30hp. In 1836 there was a workforce of 400, who operated 6,960 Throstle and 10,741 Mule spindles, and 495 looms. It underwent a period of decline in the latter years of the 19th century eventually becoming disused.

2794 ~ Old Glossop ~ Hawkshead Mill ~ (1783)
In 1783, William Sheppard built the first recorded mill on the Site, making use of the Blackshaw Clough as a water supply. During the 18th century it was also know as Starkies’, or Rolf’s mill.

2793 ~ 110-112 High Street West ~ Dowds Restuarant ~ (1940)
"My great uncle was George Herbert Farnsworth, son of Thomas who was a wholesale fruiterer at 112 High Street West. he married Evelyn Platt. They died in 1972 and 1968 respectively. They had no children but me and my cousins remember them with great fondness." - Margaret Weaver (February 2019).

2792 ~ 119 High Street West ~ Tung Fong ~ (1958)
"From 1958 to 1970 this shop belonged to my parents Harry & Hilda Bunting as a fish and chip shop it was called "Bunting’s Chippy" and before that my uncle Jim & Rose Bunting had it." - Harry Bunting (March 2019).

2791 ~ 379 High Street West ~ Formerly The Junction Inn ~ (2014)


Photo taken in 2014 by Glossop VAH.

2790 ~ ~ ~ (2014)


Photo taken in 2014 by Glossop VAH.

2789 ~ ~ ~ (2014)


Photo taken in 2014 by Glossop VAH.

2788 ~ ~ ~ (2014)


Photo taken in 2014 by Glossop VAH.

2787 ~ ~ ~ (2014)


Photo taken in 2014 by Glossop VAH.

2786 ~ ~ ~ (2014)


Photo taken in 2014 by Glossop VAH.

2785 ~ 307-377 High Street West ~ ~ (2014)


Photo taken in 2014 by Glossop VAH.

2784 ~ ~ ~ (2014)


Photo taken in 2014 by Glossop VAH.